Thursday, September 1, 2011

Oats and Almond Milk in France?! Mom was right...

If my mom and I had made a bet on this before I left for France, I would owe her money right now. Given my dietary needs and preferences (I can't drink milk; I think that white flour is a terrible way to start the day), she told me to just buy some almond milk and oats while in France. I insisted that no, she didn't understand: French people don't eat such things, and they simply are not to be found in France, let alone at any reasonable price!

But, lo and behold, at B.'s parents house I was delighted to find that his mother preferred des flocons d'avoine for breakfast.


Flocon means "flake" - for example, flocon de neige would be "snowflake." Despite the name, these flocons d'avoine weren't the oat equivalent of corn flakes; they are indeed just oats, ready to have milk or water added to them. And they are bio (organic) no less!

B. offered to look for almond milk for me at the local supermarket, and, while I greatly appreciated the gesture, I was convinced he would come back empty-handed. And yet, voilà!

The only two ingredients are organic almonds and organic sugar, and it's not fortified with vitamins like Almond Breeze back home, but it certainly makes eating cereal a lot less dry!

No comments:

Post a Comment