Thursday, September 1, 2011

A change of scenery: Maisons-Laffitte

[The Hôtel de Ville (town hall) in Maisons-Laffitte; it's straight ahead right when you get off the RER A.]


Not wanting to overstay my welcome at the apartment of a friend of a friend in the 13e arr. in Paris, yesterday I took the RER A (the train that serves nearby areas in the Paris region) to my friend B.'s parents' house in the town of Maisons-Laffitte (about a 40 min trip, and you don't even have to leave the métro to get to the RER...more on the joys of French public transportation later...).

Let us now draw the distinction between "outside of Paris" and "outside of Paris." Yes, there are areas "outside of Paris" where a girl wouldn't want to walk alone. Most people are probably familiar with the riots that happened there in 2005.

But the best way I can describe Maisons-Laffitte is a giant, manicured park. Green everywhere. People walking around with their preppy cardigans tied over their shoulders is the norm. The clip-clop of horses' hooves (there's a hipprodrome here, and horses are a big thing). There's a château and beautiful gardens, as these used to be the hunting ground of a rich noble back in the day.

Since B.'s parents are kindly hosting me, I'll stay here until I can find my own apartment in Paris. Wish me luck!

P.S. Not to brag, but more compliments on my French: someone said that I speak the best French of any American they've ever heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment