Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Studio Photography [first two classes]

As you may or may not already know, I am taking a studio photography class this semester at Studio Vermès. It's a professional studio space in the 4e arrondissement (right by Bastille) that the pros can rent, and the owner (Philippe) also teaches both beginning and advanced classes there. They get a lot of American students, especially through Sarah Lawrence College's study abroad program, so between that and Philippe's assistant Nathalie (who is Guatemalan), we speak a fun mix of English, French, and Spanish.

Working in a studio is really exciting - you have so much more control over the pictures that you take, between flashes, lights, backdrops, and other gadgets. It really helps you understand why in French, to "take a photo" is "faire une photo" - literally, "to make a photo."

Here are photos that were taken of me in the last two class periods, using Philippe's digital camera (I also took my own using my b&w film camera, which I have yet to develop).

The first was an exercise in silhouettes (that's me in the top hat):


The second was an exercise in flash with long exposures - and my own creepy concept. That's me in the photo, with the hands of another student:

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment