Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Studio Photography : Eric T., cellist

At the beginning of the month I asked cellist and fellow CUPA student Eric to come into the studio and model for me. Although we had only spoken a few times, I was hoping he wouldn't be too creeped out by my proposed exchange of his time, face, and instrument for free headshots. Lucky for both of us, he accepted my offer, and came to the studio dressed in black and ready to have some fun!

I really enjoy photographing musicians and their instruments, separately and together. Some of you may remember some of the shots from my final project in VIS 212 Introductory Photography (black and white film), which I took last semester. Many of those photos can be viewed online here.

Eric and I ended up doing mostly color digital that day, although I did take a few stunning film shots (which I'm still in the process of printing - stay tuned!). We tried to explore time and motion with long shutter speeds, unusual vantage points and strange poses with the instrument, and we weren't afraid to get a little kitschy!

Haven't had time to mess with any of these yet, so what you're looking at is straight from the camera - completely unedited! (Isn't studio lighting the best?!) *Although it seems uploading to Blogger does mess with photo quality...

First shot of the day, a candid snapped haphazardly as Eric was tuning; ended up being one of our favorites.



We even got a visit from Patouche, the studio cat, who wanted his share of the spotlight!

Yoga cello!

Unconventional.

Classic.


Dark and mysterious.


Want to hear Eric play? Check him out on YouTube! (And don't miss the awesome four-handed cello duet video!)

No comments:

Post a Comment