Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 1, Meal 1 : Salade "Y Fé Cho," Chez Lili et Marcel, 13e arr.



After two flights, the RER B, two métro lines including missing my stop twice in both directions), and carrying some very over-loaded bags, I looked like I had just run a marathon (sweat and all). I'm surprised the waitress was willing to let me sit in a decent establishment. Other than a piece of soda bread at the Dublin airport, I was running on empty.
Imagine my vegetarian delight when I stumbled across the street from the métro stop and found this gem on the menu!

The name of the dish is a slang-y, phonetic way of saying "It's hot out!" salad, and could not have been more apropos: in the center of the dish is a jar of that cooling summer classic, gazpacho; this is surrounded by mixed greens, sliced cucumber and tomatoes. A liberal slice of watermelon is flanked by two slices of cantaloupe. Atop the jar of gazpacho is a "brochette" (skewer) of tropical fruit: mango, kiwi, pineapple. The bottle to the left is extra vinaigrette; the bottle in the center is just water (sorry, folks, I was already drunk on sleep deprivation); the pail to the right was filled with hearty chunks of baguette.

Re-fueled, and re-hydrated, I was able to present myself halfway normally to my generous host who is letting me stay with him until I find an apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment